Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

I had a wonderful Mother's Day.
First, I got woken up by Sadie climbing on me and giving me kisses. She's gotten into saying "good morning, mama!" which is quite simply the BEST way to wake up. Ever.
She immediately handed me bright pink envelope and announced "that's a card!" Andrew and she had worked on it together. Inside it were beautiful, colorful, chaotic scribbles from her and sweet, appreciative, loving words from him. My heart swelled.

We got ourselves together and headed out to the mystery destination Andrew had chosen to take us for breakfast, but when we got there it became apparent that about 40 other families had the same idea. So we walked a few blocks

and decided on a tiny little French place which serves crepes.
(and champagne)
It was perfect. We sat next to a nice couple who were celebrating their 1st Mother's Day with a 10 month old little girl. They seemed completely baffled by the fact that only one year separated our daughters. Sadie was quite taken with the baby and began tickling her legs and talking in a high pitched voice to her.
After a delicious breakfast, we wandered around for a bit to kill some time. We checked out the Cardinal Hotel lobby, which I'd never seen before. Sadie was particularly fond of the leather chairs.
Before too long, it was time for me to head to the theater for the closing performance of The Cocktail Hour. It was a small audience, but I think we ended on a high note. Strike was fast and easy. I got my check and headed home to pick up Sadie and go have dinner at my parents' house. My mom was just getting in from out of town and wasn't expecting us, so it was fun to surprise her. My dad and Jill took care of everything. I got to sit outside & relax, listening to the sounds of evening and watching Sadie in all of her busy toddler glory. Dinner was fantastic (steak, grilled artichokes, corn, sourdough bread, and salad followed by cheesecake with fresh raspberries.)

Sadie helped Grandma open her cards and gifts, and we called it a night.


I love my mom and I love being a mom.
I am a daughter and I have a daughter.
Existing in the middle of those two relationships is pretty darn cool.

3 comments:

YF said...

that was a great post... i love to see you so happy! good work andrew and sadie! and J9's family! sounds lovely. you are a great mom - Happy mom's day to you!

Bettina Fernandez said...

See, Andrew DOES have the capability to surprise you! Well done Andrew and Sadie! Glad you had a wonderful day! Happy Mother's Day to you!

Melissa said...

what beauties you are!! i love this post. happy mama's day! xo