Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Seriously.

I sat down at my computer a little while ago with the intent to clean up my desk area while Sadie naps. I managed to tear up a few junk mail envelopes, add to the pile on top of the shredder, move some paid bills into the "to be filed" pile to my right, and generally just shuffle a few things around. Then I got sucked into my email and checking a couple of blogs...
Here I am over an hour later, and my desk is still a complete disaster. I am thoroughly annoyed at myself and I decided to punish myself by posting a picture. This is what my desk looks like, 90% of the time. I can't stand it, and yet I never seem to make any progress with getting organized.
I hate the whiny tone of this post, but I'm putting it up anyway.
Does anyone have any theories (aka armchair psychiatry) for me as to how a person who craves organization can't seem to accomplish it?!


(picture removed due to sensitive information on papers, etc. on desk)
but trust me - it was bad!


HELP.

7 comments:

Nay-Nay said...

SO funny that you would post this. I'm basically making money on a couple side jobs doing just this kind of "counseling" for people. I sit with them for a couple hours, figure out their lifestyle, and set up a system that works best for them.

Honestly, half of what I get paid for is just to help people focus for a while to ensure organization comes to fruition.

Don't be frustrated - we ALL need help getting started and sticking with this stuff, including myself.

That said, if you want, don't hesitate to give me a call ANYTIME. :)

Anonymous said...

omg.

I really have no idea but as a person who has (undiagnosed) OCD, your picture makes me want to come to your house and clean your desk. (And I mean that in a good way. You have no idea how much I love cleaning and organizing. It's a sickness.)

Bettina Fernandez said...

Are you kidding? This is what my whole HOUSE looks like most of the time!! So please, don't feel bad and don't try and punish yourself ;o) We love you, mess or no mess!

Janine Evans said...

thanks Bettina. Whit, I may just call you. C Lo - you may hate me for saying this, but I wish I could turn on a little OCD once in a while, and if I weren't morbidly embarrassed by my mess, I'd give you my address right this very second!

Melissa said...

I once heard a theory that procrasination happens when we feel overwhelmed by whatever task lies in front of us . . . it's completely true for me! My desk at work was like that forever, and I just sighed every day and let it go until on day two weeks ago. I guess I had to be ready. I think it's okay to have a messy desk. But I must say it felt really good to clean it. Let us know how it goes!

Joanne Audelle said...

http://readymade.com/projects

Mother Superior said...

ya know, there are only so many things you can stress over... and only so many hours in the day. so spend the hours with sadie... the desk & house can get cleaned tomorrow... or next week :-)