Sunday, May 1, 2011

Osama Bin Laden is dead.

Wow. The news tonight is big.

I remember feeling pure shock and bewilderment on September 11, 2001.

Grief and insomnia took over soon after and lasted for months, but my initial feelings were all about disbelief. I was totally incredulous that such evil and hatred existed in the world, and on such a huge scale. I was horrified to learn that this man and his followers really thought their actions were just, righteous, even holy. It still baffles me.

I have virtually zero experience with the military, so it is beyond the scope of my imagination to understand what all went into tonight's events. I'm just plain awestruck. I was glad to hear President Obama say that no Americans were harmed. I thought this bit of his speech was particularly well worded:

"Tonight we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counterterrorism professionals who have worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work nor know their names, but tonight they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice. We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of burden since that September day."

Tonight I hope that everyone in the world who has been affected by Bin Laden's epic terrorism over the past decade can feel something good at the news of his death. It feels twisted to say that, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure what parents, brothers, sisters, friends, husbands, wives, cousins, grandparents,etc. of anyone who perished on 9/11 or anyone hurt or killed in the line of duty since that day are supposed to feel tonight.

Relief?
Justice?
Closure?
Hope?
Peace?

Peace. Now wouldn't that be something?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder similar things...what GOOD does his death bring? And does death need to bring good to be a beneficial act? I was actually surprised to hear that he was killed, and not captured. I haven't read/seen any of the speech last night because I live under a rock and haven't turned the TV on in a few days, so woke up to Facebook notifying me of this event. Anyway, I wish his death signified the END of something, other than a manhunt, but I'm not sure it does. Maybe I'm wrong...

And maybe it WILL bring closure to those who were immediately affected by 9/11. If it does, then I have great gratitude for the act. People need closure.