Thursday, December 23, 2010

the Solstice Lunar Eclipse - super cool



I'm backtracking a couple of days, but I wanted to touch on this.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a moon girl. I especially love full moons. A few months ago, I noted that we were having a Harvest moon at the Fall Equinox and that we'd be having a full moon at the Winter Solstice, too.

Last year some friends of ours had a Solstice party at their house, where they projected Frosty the Snowman onto the side of their garage for the little kids and the Winter Fairy came to deliver treats (bells and stickers). It was really fun and although I wouldn't call myself a pagan, I decided to start recognizing the Solstices and Equinoxes - if for no other reason than to reflect upon the passing of time in nature, time and space, and to feel connected to the universe at those times. Why not?

When a friend of mine reminded me about this special lunar eclipse the other night, I made sure to go outside to see it. Luckily the cloud cover was moving fast enough for me to get some great glimpses of this phenomenon.

As I read descriptions of this eclipse, the one that took my breath away with wonderment was this:

"Monday night or early Tuesday morning, depending on your location, many around the world were able to witness a phenomenal and rare total lunar eclipse, watching as the Earth passed directly between the sun and the full moon, shrouding it in shadow and transforming the white image into a stunning deep red glow. The event was especially significant as it coincided with the winter solstice, something that hasn't occurred in 372 years and won't come around again until 2094."

Why the red glow?

"when the eclipse is underway...you're seeing every sunrise and every sunset in the world, all of them, all at once. This incredible light beams into the heart of Earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the Moon into a great red orb."

Pics from around the globe:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/21/lunar-eclipse-2010-photos_n_799618.html#212892
I don't know how long that link will be active, so I'll try to save and post some of the pictures as well.

okay I guess that's it for this post. ;)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

i love this post!
wasn't that eclipse so cool? i just caught the barest glimpse of it behind those fast moving clouds but i'm so glad i did--all the sunrises and sunsets? amazing!

any monday, girlfriend--pick a date!