Monday, January 11, 2010

I *heart* this article!

I'm on the opposite coast from Park Slope, Brooklyn, but I have totally noticed/experienced this phenomenon.
Actually, certain aspects of this topic are even sort of an "elephant in the room" issue amongst my own working vs. stay-at-home mom friends. (Let alone my single or childless-by choice or not-friends.)
I can honestly say that I had absolutely NO idea that becoming a mother would entail anything like this. I mean, seriously? Having to be defensive about my choice to be a mom (especially a stay-at-home mom) and then worrying that people think I am tossing around some sense of entitlement about it? Having to feel like I owe strangers apologies for taking an extra few seconds to wriggle a stroller through a coffee shop door (9 times out of 10 without any help offered)? Getting glared at for being in someone's way on the sidewalk for a moment while my toddler stops to crouch down and check out an ant or an acorn or a leaf?

I guess I'm not old enough yet to say that nothing surprises me.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/11/22/mommy_hate/index.html

"Everybody Hates Mommy" by Lynn Harris

*

1 comment:

YF said...

that is a good article... interesting. thanks for sharing.