Friday, June 12, 2009

...sigh...

Sadie likes to be rocked by Andrew and me to Brahm's Lullaby before bed. It is so sweet, I can hardly stand it.

Andrew and I stand together with her lying horizontally between us, nestled lovingly in our arms with her long legs dangling from the crook of our elbows as we sway back and forth. We arrange ourselves so as to be accompanied (by request) by a creak in the floor beneath us so that she can hear it "like in the book" Old Devil Wind".

This version of the lullaby is from one of our Music Together CDs. It is 3 verses, has no words, and is just lovely. It is probably under two minutes long, and she doesn't fall asleep; she just lays there looking up at us as we gaze at her and one another adoringly. Sometimes we get a big, languid yawn and a gush of her sweet, just-brushed toddler breath as we rock her. Sometimes she's still a little squirmy and giggly, or wants to babble about whatever is going through her amazing little brain. Sometimes she reaches out and places her warm palm on my cheek - heaven. Last night she reached for my Jenny's Light necklace, picked it up off my chest gently and said "I like your necklace, Mommy. It's beautiful."

Tonight, the light from the kitchen was casting shadows of her eyelashes, making them look even longer and darker than they are. I love being that close to her face so I can really study her perfect, smooth skin, her full lips and clear, deep blue eyes. It sounds corny as all get-out, but every once in a while I am completely dumbstruck as to how we created such a breathtakingly beautiful creature.

We can feel her body relaxing into our cradling arms - she just sort of sinks into us with total trust and love. There is no way to describe how it feels. I wish I could capture it somehow to be able to feel it again in the future when rocking my baby girl before bed is a distant memory. I'm so grateful to be aware of how precious this time is with her. I know she can feel our love for her and I know she basks in it.

She's so tall, so verbal, so busy these days, that I find myself more aware of the quiet moments, the hugs & kisses, the hand holding. The way her hand feels in mine when we're walking together is another indescribable thing. Especially when she reaches for it. That's the best.

Anyway...I just had to muse a bit before going to sleep tonight. I want to acknowledge my appreciation for the gift that is my daughter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me cry a little bit.

I love that there are parents out there in the world who *get it*, what a true blessing they were given. It's hard, but the rewards make it worth it ten million times over.

mama-lama-ding-dong said...

I couldn't agree more with C. So beautiful.

I want to go hug my toddler right now. <3

Nay-Nay said...

So special...I'm all choked up.