This little plan was hatched last September when we visited Meghan & Michael out in Colorado. I'll spare all of the details, but the stars seriously aligned for this to come together as it has. Here are just a few of the examples how:
- My mother-in-law is in town, so I'll have seamless and spectacular childcare for Sadie
- I'm only missing one night of rehearsal for the play that I unexpectedly got into last month
- Meghan's husband (an OB-GYN) has the entire weekend off to care for their boys
- By some magical 6th sense, Sadie has basically weaned herself perfectly for my departure*
So here I am with a plane ticket, reservations at the Bellagio, and a long list of restaurants, bars, shows, shops and clubs to try to check out.
People have had very interesting reactions to the fact that my Mom Get Away Trip is to Las Vegas. "Las Vegas?" they say, with raised eyebrows/tilted heads/smirks/knowing smiles. As my hairdresser (who used to be a DJ and frequented the clubs there) said, "There are 3 types that go to Las Vegas: old people, families, and people who want to get f*****cked up."
Hmmmm. I don't fit into any of those categories, but I know he's right. I'll admit, there was a time when I might have been in Group 3, and I did have a gaggle of friends who went on Vegas weekend benders. But (in 20/20 hindsight) luckily that was many years ago when I lived in New York, so jetting off to Nevada for 48 hours was not an option for me. So - to all of you who looked at me sideways when I told you about my plans to visit Sin City, read on.
The things I want to do on this trip are:
- lay by the pool (it's supposed to be sunny and in the 70s)
- get dressed up (I used all of my Nordstrom gift cards for a fabulous top)
- go see a show (probably something by Cirque du Soleil)
- eat high quality food (too many places to choose from)
- have a spa treatment (body scrub? facial? or just hang out in there)
- window shop (gotta check out the Manolo Blahnik store)
- pull a few slot machine handles (I fail to see gambling as entertainment)
- people watch (my personal favorite)
Anyway - blah, blah, blah. I'm going to Las Vegas. I hope I can enjoy myself. Correction: I will enjoy myself.
*originally, this was the biggest factor in whether I'd take this trip at all. The fact that I've breastfed Sadie this long is very special and important to me. There are a ton of reasons why, and let's just say that somehow, weaning her "so that Mama can go to Vegas" didn't exactly fit into my parenting schema. We got down to once a day in the morning and held that pattern for about a month. She got sick once, so she nursed through that. Then she started to only ask for it about every other day in the morning, and we held that pattern for about a month as well. That's where we are now. Seriously. Perfect.