Monday, February 2, 2009

Thanks, honey. I needed that.

A short story to illustrate why I sometimes think my child is some sort of angel sent just for me (and Andrew)...

Last night, as we scrambled to get out the door to go have our weekly Sunday Night Dinner with my family, I grabbed my set of car keys and told Andrew that I'd drive. I have found that it is best to take the wheel when I'm feeling even slightly irritated so that I can maintain a sense of control over the situation.
Andrew was all too happy to let me drive; he was head-down and totally immersed in his phone-gadget thing almost immediately and I chose to accept that and make the trip in silence. Sadie was contentedly snuggled into her car seat behind us, looking out the window.
For this particular Sunday night dinner, my parents had invited us to their country club as a treat. As I made our way there, I pictured the club's beautiful dining room and recalled that my brother's wedding reception was held there almost 10 years ago. This then turned my mind to our wedding reception site, and subsequently I was filled with sweet memories of that wonderful day less than 2 and a half years ago. I marveled at how in many ways it feels like a lifetime ago. I know I'm not unique in my wedding day nostalgia, but sometimes I can't believe that the powerful emotions of that day can possibly seem like a distant memory.
Moments later, as I started to pull off the freeway, I heard Sadie sweetly say, "music."
"You want the music on, honey?" I asked.
"Yeah," came the reply.
I looked down at the radio and saw that it was in fact on, but the volume was almost all the way down. I reached down and turned the nob, but heard nothing. I turned it up further, and realized that the radio station must have been exactly in-between songs. I waited for a song to start. I turned it up more, and kept my hand on the knob to turn it down quickly in case it came blaring on. I almost switched the station, thinking that perhaps KFOG was having a momentary glitch in their broadcast, when finally, quietly, slowly, a song started. And not just any song, but our first dance song, True Companion, by Marc Cohn.

My heart skipped and I gave Andrew a squeeze on the leg. Thanks for the reminder, Sadie-girl.

3 comments:

YF said...

that is amazing. so sweet. i had never heard the song, great song too.

Gillian said...

so sweet! so i got your comment and, girl, it's a rough one this weaning! how many times a day is she on the boob? i had elie down to once or twice a day for a few months before i finally pulled the plug. the big "weaning week", i basically made plans every night and went out at bedtime. jeff put her to sleep. it seemed to work and i had a ball. but lots of friend have done little get aways and that seemed to work for them. maybe i should have emailed you!!!
love,
g

DDEH said...

ah, the miracles. i think of that as Spirit reminding you.......through the messenger of sweet sadie girl. and it was a beautiful day! my picture i have of you and andrew is you dancing to the song - it was my very favorite out of all the many pics. it oozes the reason you married at all - even to strangers.

thanks for the sharing. this was good.